What is urogynecologist?

Jump To


Urogynecologists are medical doctors who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of female pelvic floor disorders. They help with problems like urinary incontinence, overactive bladder, and pelvic organ prolapse.

These doctors focus on the pelvic organs, such as the vagina, uterus, rectum, and bladder. They prescribe medicines, perform surgery, and treat noncancerous conditions. They also treat problems with the pelvic floor. This is the muscles, ligaments, nerves, and other tissues that support the pelvic organs and help control their functions.

Urogynecologists are certified in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery. This is a subspecialty recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties. They are identified by the initials "FPMRS" (Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery) in their titles. Both ob-gyns and urologists can take this training and be certified.

©2011-2024 Healthwise, Incorporated

The content above contains general health information provided by Healthwise, Incorporated, and reviewed by its medical experts. This content should not replace the advice of your healthcare provider. Not all treatments or services described are offered as services by us. For recommended treatments, please consult your healthcare provider.