What is workplace injuries?

Workplace Injuries

Who can diagnose and treat a workplace injury?

If you have tried home treatment, such as rest, but your pain and discomfort have lasted for several days (for example, 7 continuous days), call your doctor. Health professionals who can diagnose and treat work-related injuries include:

  • Chiropractors.
  • Family medicine physicians.
  • General practitioners.
  • Neurologists.
  • Nurse practitioners.
  • Occupational medicine specialists.
  • Occupational therapists.
  • Orthopedic doctors.
  • Osteopathic doctors.
  • Physiatrists.
  • Physical therapists.

Where can you get help after a workplace injury?

You may be able to get help or information through:

  • Your human resources department at work.
  • Your state's Labor Department.
  • Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), for information on treating and preventing injury.
  • National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety (NIOSH), a division of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). NIOSH is the federal agency responsible for conducting research and making recommendations for the prevention of work-related disease and injury.

What causes workplace injuries?

Many workplace injuries are caused by:

  • Repetitive movements.
  • The way you sit or stand (posture).
  • Sitting in the same position for a long time.
  • Bending over, lifting heavy objects, or using pressure or force.
  • Working with vibrating tools.
  • Overuse.

These injuries can cause stress and strain on your muscles, nerves, tendons, joints, blood vessels, and spine.

You may be at greater risk for injuries at work if you have other health problems, such as arthritis or emotional stress.

©2011-2024 Healthwise, Incorporated

The content above contains general health information provided by Healthwise, Incorporated, and reviewed by its medical experts. This content should not replace the advice of your healthcare provider. Not all treatments or services described are offered as services by us. For recommended treatments, please consult your healthcare provider.

Specialized emergency services

Find care near you

Comprehensive care

Find an ER near you